Mary, Mother of the Word Incarnate

Mary, Mother of the Word Incarnate
Pray for us, oh Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Truth Seeks and Destroys

In an address given by Pope Benedict XVI: "Be Witnesses of Our Living Faith", as reported by Zenit, on 11/14/2012:
"Continuing from last week's catechesis on the desire for God, the Holy
Father meditated on the paths to knowing God while always keeping in mind
that the initiative of God always "precedes any action of man." The Pope
recalled the words of St. Augustine which says "it is not we who possess
the Truth after "seeking it, rather it is Truth that seeks us out and
possesses us."" 
In the spring of 2008, I was not seeking Truth. I felt happy and fulfilled
in my life as a husband and father and, incidentally, as a Catholic. And
then my wife encouraged me to go to a Christ Renews His Parish (CHRP)
weekend. I'd heard about it but didn't have any idea what it was. I didn't
want to go. I gave reasons why I shouldn't go: my wife was expecting, we
had 5 kids at that time and it would be really hard for her to run the
house without my help, etc. She said that I should go anyway.

And what happened?

I went.

And my life was turned upside down. Truth worked through my wife to seek
and posses me. My life has not been the same since that weekend, the
weekend from which I delineate the two phases of my life; per-CHRP and
post-CHRP.

I thank God for loving me enough to seek me, to destroy the old me and to
bring me to new life, through Him who is Love.

(I wonder if Francis Thompson was thinking of St. Augustine when he wrote
the Hound of Heaven?)


No comments:

Post a Comment